Copied and reposted from This Dish Is Veg, because they rock!
No Meat Zone Recipes: Vegan Warm Chickpea and Artichoke Salad
Receive our weekly newsletter to get a sneak peek at upcoming articles, special giveaways, and behind-the-scenes information. We do not sell, spam, or share your email address. Click here to sign up.
Warm Chickpea and Artichoke Salad
- 5 Tbsp (75 ml) extra virgin olive oil, divided juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried basil, or use 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) fine sea salt, or more, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) cooked chickpeas, well drained (canned are fine; rinse well before using)
- 6-8 artichoke hearts (about one large can), drained and sliced lengthwise
- 1/3 cup (55 g) natural almonds with skin, coarsely chopped
In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together 3 Tbsp (45 ml) of the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic and sea salt. Set aside.
In a large frypan, heat another 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil. Add the chickpeas and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they are all golden brown (this takes about 10 minutes). Add to the bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil in the pan and add the artichoke hearts, cut side down. Cook until they are browned, stirring only once or twice to avoid breaking them up, about 5-10 minutes more. Add them to the bowl as well.
Toss the salad gently until the chickpeas and artie hearts are well coated with the dressing. To serve, spoon the salad onto serving plates and sprinkle with some of the chopped almonds (add any leftover almonds to the bowl and toss again). Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.
Submitted by Ricki Heller, PhD, RHN-- Author of Sweet Freedom Twitter:
Follow us on and Facebook
Photo Credit: Ricki Heller